Christopher attended Northern Illinois University on an athletic scholarship and graduated cum laude in 2009 earning a BA in International Politics with a minor in Chinese studies. Upon graduating, he received a full scholarship from the China Scholarship Council to attend an intensive Chinese language program at Southwest Jiaotong University in Chengdu, China for one year. After completing the program, he remained in China for three more years to teach English at the Sichuan International Studies University, and Southwestern University of Finance and Economics. In 2013, he returned to the U.S. and shortly after began working as an admissions specialist at Walden University in Phoenix, Arizona, which is owned and controlled by Laureate Education, Inc. He is also a current member of the Phoenix Sister Cities Commission - Chengdu Committee, and co-organizer of the Arizona Mandarin Meetup.
Christopher Daniel Johnson
(719) 424-5680 | email@example.com
SKILLS AND STRENGTHS
- Oral/written communication
- Coaching and advising
- Cross-team collaboration
- Cultural competency
- Organization and time management
- Analytical skills
- Fluent Mandarin Chinese
- Tech-savvy (Salesforce, Word, Excel)
- Event Coordinating
EDUCATIONSouthwest Jiaotong University, Chengdu, China 2009-2010Intensive Chinese Language Program; full scholarship awarded by the China Scholarship Council
Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 2007-2009
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, cum laude
· Concentration in International Relations with a minor in Mandarin Chinese / China Studies
Laureate Education, Inc. – Walden University, Phoenix, AZ 10/2014-Present
• Meticulously evaluate student applications and transcripts to administer the admissions decision process.
• Award transfer of credit and respond to inquiries from students and faculty.
• Assist in translating Chinese documents for international students from China.
• Assist in developing new strategies to improve effectiveness of the admissions process.
• Coordinate between departments to improve efficiency.
Phoenix Sister Cities Commission – Chengdu Committee, Phoenix, AZ 2/2016-Present
• Help to promote collaboration in areas of trade and tourism, youth and education, arts and culture, and municipal training.
Southwestern University of Finance and Economics, Chengdu, China 8/2012-7/2013
- Taught business English to over 350 students from various departments.
- Meticulously developed curriculum to meet the needs of students.
- Assisted students outside of class in selecting U.S. schools for master's degree programs.
Sichuan International Studies University, Chengdu, China 9/2011-7/2012
· Effectively managed more than 70 students per class, all with varying abilities and proficiencies.
· Provided tutoring for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); led to improved test scores for students.
New Times International Training Center, Chengdu, China 9/2010-7/2011
Instructor and Student Coordinator
- Taught preparatory courses to over 30 individuals, including transitioning to overseas life and managing the visa application process.
- Assisted Chinese students with converting resumes into English cover letters for overseas university admissions.
- Taught business English to graduate students; provided assistance with applications to universities abroad.
- NCAA All-Conference Academic/Athletic Team (Mid-American Conference - Men’s Division 1 soccer team)
- HSK level 5 of 6 (Chinese language Proficiency Test) 2012
- Pi Sigma Alpha National Political Science Honor Society – Political Science Student of Distinction